Skip to Content

Pittsburgh Assault Charges Against Executive May Be Dropped

Pittsburgh Assault Charges Against Executive May Be Dropped


A high-level executive of a health insurance company is hoping to have his Pittsburgh assault charges dropped, and is currently undergoing anger management classes.

As our Pittsburgh assault attorneys understand it, the former CEO, who was fired from his position after reportedly attacking his girlfriend's husband, is facing charges of trespassing and simple assault.

Under Pennsylvania law, the main difference between simple assault and aggravated assault is the amount of damage inflicted on the other person. Simple assault may sound like a fairly benign charge and it is a second-degree misdemeanor, but it could land you in jail for up to two years if you're convicted.

If your actions were against a child under the age of 12, it's more serious and could mean up to five years in prison.

If, however, the assault involves a fight that both parties agreed to engage in, it's considered a third-degree misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to one year in jail.

Aggravated assault charges are filed when a person is alleged to have shown "extreme indifference" to human life, and when the other party is severely injured. This is always going to be a felony charge, and prison time could range from 10 to 20 years behind bars.

There are a number of ways that a skilled defense attorney can help you win your case, including arguing your intent, challenging the witnesses to the event, arguing that you acted in self defense or negotiating to have the charges reduced to a lesser offense.

In this case, the Allegheny County judge has agreed to a two-month postponement of the criminal case while the accused undergoes an anger management course.

According to police records, the defendant began a relationship with a younger female employee sometime last year. She reportedly left her husband to live with the CEO, but one day went to see her husband. The CEO showed up a short time later and accused her of cheating. When the husband told the CEO to leave, he refused and the two men fought, ultimately leading to a phone call to police the arrest of the CEO.